History of Ridgeland Mansion
Ridgeland Mansion in West Fairmount Park, is on land that was purchased by a yeoman named William Couch in 1718. The current house was constructed sometime between 1752 and 1762. Originally a farm house, it was expanded to mansion proportions through various alterations and additions made by later owners, as well as by the city which had acquired the property in 1869 for the expansion of Fairmount Park. George Clymer, a Founding Father of the United States, owned the house between 1784 and 1794, though he apparently only rented it out and never lived there.
A notable feature of the house is the use of round windows, including two small oval windows, one on each of the first and second stories of the northwestern facade, and a divided semicircular window in the southeastern gable. Though the main part of the house is composed of Wissahickon schist, several wood-frame extensions with stone foundations adjoin the northeastern end of the house.
Since 1997, the house has been leased and operated by the Suzanne Morgan Center at Ridgeland through the Fairmount Park Conservancy. The five-acre estate’s house and on grounds are available for rental for social and corporate events. More info here: https://cancersupportphiladelphia.org/ridgeland-mansion-rentals/
This year we’re pleased to welcome Ridgeland Mansion as a special addition to the holiday events – with the Holiday Lunch provided by Joshua’s Catering in the Carriage House Cafe and Open House tours of the mansion decorated for the season! Please note that Ridgeland is not one of the “Park Charms” historic house museums and therefore they are offering non-ticketed, walk-up tours free of charge during visiting hours. Of course, donations are welcome and benefit the important work of The Cancer Support Community Greater Philadelphia.