Nov, 25, 2016
1. What is your involvement with the historic houses in Fairmount Park?
My name is Christine. I started volunteering in Fairmount Park as a Park House Guide almost 20 years ago. I have been employed at Woodford, Historic House Museum for 11 years. Growing up in Philadelphia, I was always aware of our unique historic gifts. I cannot think of a better place to share our rich history than right here in Fairmount Park.
2.What are your top 3 favorite things about the holidays at the historic houses?
1. Our Garden Clubs and their incredible talents with decorating.
2. The marvelous spaces, both interior and exterior being given new expression with holiday accents.
3. The many happy people! We have so many fabulous volunteers and visitors!!! Many of our visitors come back year after year and remember the past themes even better than me.
3. What are you most looking forward to during “A Very Philly Christmas” at the historic houses this year?
I am always excited to see the annual theme interpreted at each and every venue.
4.What was the best gift you ever received (or gave) during the holidays?
A few years ago, I provided a bus tour to a large group. After our day together a young woman in the group came up to me to say that her Christmas gift to her mother was to bring her on the tour. She said she could not have picked a better gift. They enjoyed the entire day collecting new decorating ideas, laughing at holiday jokes, hearing about the history in the park and being together. For me, that was an awesome gift!
5.What is the top reason for people to come out to the historic houses for the holidays this year?
Whether someone has been to visit us in the past or not, there is always something new to learn in a fun way. Everyone involved in this tremendous event works very had to provide fabulous visuals, authentic tales from the past, increased appreciation of the arts, and tons of holiday cheer.